1. Watermelon – Feeding your koi fresh fruit is very good for them. It can be a great way to guarantee they are getting all of their nutrients. When feeding your fish watermelon they should be cut into 2 to 3 inch pieces to ensure they are easy to eat. Remove all or at least most of the seeds as they are not easily digested.
2. Cheerios – This one may come as a surprise, but cheerios are low residue and low nitrogen, so they are perfect simple snacks for your koi fish. They typically prefer the honey nut cheerios.
3. Grapefruit – Make sure you cut grapefruit into quarters before feed them. Whats nice is that these pieces will float so once you fish notice the grapefruit your will have them coming to the top of your pond for a nibble.
4. Romaine lettuce – Do not use iceberg lettuce. Find the darkest romaine you can and be sure to cut them into about 6-inch-long strips. Your koi will enjoy munching on these greens.
5. Sardines – This one may seem strange and maybe a little cannibalistic but in nature fish often eat other fish. You will want to feed them thawed, chopped up into smaller pieces. Feed them this in moderation